Abbott 1


Abbott was unusually broke that Sunday. It was something that never
really happens, because he usually conversed with God and God always
provided all he needed.

He sat in a chair writing about a new story he was intending to
publish. His service as a Youth Corp member was just beginning as he
had been assigned to CityWay Secondary School, Ogun State. God wanted
him there.

Where he sat, he ruminated on the short revelation he had on Friday.
A scorpion bite someone, the person didn't feel the pain and within
some minutes, the person was dead. Due to that, the school would be
closed down till futher notice. That was how the revelation went.

A knock hit the door shockingly.
"Who is there?" Abbott questioned.
The knock was persistent, but there was no reply. Abbott walked over
to the door, thinking of who it might be. He invited no one to his
house. He opened the door and found his friend, John.
"Jonnie what a surprise?"
"I did well in surprising you, you know!"
"You and this your attitude ehn. Come in, come in."
"Even if you say I should not enter, I will still enter." They both
laughed. John then sat on a very comfortable cushion.

Thirty minutes after, John poured the last few drops of the freshyo
drink into the glass cup on a tray.

"Abbott! John called with a serious tone.
"Yeah?"
"I want you to listen carefully to the what I have brought for you."
Abbott sensed seriousness. He slided forward and listened carefully
as he was instructed.
"While I was praying this morning, I was told by God to warn you about this."
Abbott leaned forward. His arms folded and his legs were slightly
moving to the opposite sides and back together continously.
"You know what brought Lucifer down from heaven right?"
"I guess so."
"God told me to warn you sternly about self."
"Self!" Abbott repeated nodding.
"Yes my dear, self can do two things- return and destroy."
Abbott raised his eyebrows in curiosity.
"Return and destroy? How?"
"I tried to ask him for the interpretation, but he did not continue."
"Ooooo Jonnie! Don't do like this naw!"
"I pray you will understand before it is too late."
"Why nah? Jonnie? Why?"
John smiled and relaxed into the chair. Abbott did the same, but his
left hand was on his beardless chin.
John stood up, bringing Abbott away from his thoughts.
"Abbott!"
"Hmm?"
"I got to go! Thanks for the hospitality." Abbott just stared at
John, with air in his mouth to reveal a childish frown.
"Smile nah!"
He eventually gave in and smiled with a little giggle.
"Sha go! I too have a programme in about two hours time. Let me also
get ready."
Abbott rose up and they both walked out of the house.
"So, how is it in CityWay?"
"To the Glory of God. God has really done wonders. I'm grateful to God."
"Aha! Your new book will come out when?"
"I dunno o. God should just help me. I need time."
"Awrait, I'll wait."

Comments